Want to turn one date into two? Try this the next time you go out then…..Share your food.
In a study conducted by psychologists at Leeds University the best way to guarantee a second date is by sharing your food. Within the study, 58 couples shared their meals, while 49 other couples did not. Almost every single couple of the 58 that did share their food, went on a second date with their courteous other. 43% of the 49 that did not share, did not go on a second date.
Soooooo they’re just in it for the food then??
Well that’s actually not the case. Sharing your food has a big dopamine effect on the brain and really shows who you are as a person. Being open about your food, something everybody loves so, so much, will resonate with the person you share it with.
Think about the times you really wanted a handful of chips from your friend’s Doritos bag, and that feeling when they finally let you. It’s silly, but it is a great feeling.
But with sharing food, especially on a date, take some precautions.
- If you can, know what they like before ordering.
- Make a mental note to avoid ordering the certain foods they cannot eat.
- Spaghetti is a no-no. (Too messy, too romantic.) You may get caught on the same noodle.
- Plan conversation ahead of meal time.
- Avoid garlic if your date avoids garlic.
- Be nice and patient with the wait staff!
Although these may seem obvious to you now, in the moment you’ll end up ordering the garlic bread and french onion soup.
Know the precautions you need to take. And offer your food. Chances are, that first date will soon turn into number two.