Whether you want to admit it or not, a very exciting part about attending a football party is the food!
As soon as you receive that invite, you’re wondering if there will be homemade nachos and queso dip or chicken wings.
One important thing to keep in mind while you’re stuffing your face is to clean up after yourself. And by that, we don’t mean just for the sake of the hosts. Some Big Game foods can be very dangerous to our furry friends.
According, to the Pet Poison Helpline, here are a few food items to keep away from pets during the big game:
- Guacamole is definitely a fan favorite! Just make sure to throw away the pits and don’t let dogs chew on them because once swallowed they are a perfect size to get stuck.
- Some chocolate can be very dangerous to dogs so make sure to call the Pet Poison Hotline right away so they can walk you through on what to do next.
- Chicken wings and toothpicks can cause serious health conditions for dogs and cats. Bones in chicken wings shatter easily leaving sharp ends and toothpicks are sharp. If swallowed whole they can get stuck in the digestive tract and they can puncture the wall of the stomach or intestines and lead to life-threatening peritonitis.
- Be careful with fruit platters! Grapes and raisins are known to be highly toxic to pets. Ingesting the fruit can lead to sudden kidney failure and can be potentially fatal.
- Cheese dips can cause indigestion, constipation, and pancreatitis to pets. The peppers in cheese can also cause some vicious flatulence.
For more on other potential dangers to pets during the Big Game, click here.