Human Interest

A small dog was blinded and collapsed after ingesting oxycodone while on a walk in Santa Monica in Southern California. Now, the dog owner is warning fellow dog owners.

KTLA reported that Lori Burns was walking her two dogs last week along Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica among lots of other people. One of her dogs, a 15-pound former shelter dog named Chance, started to breathe heavily before collapsing.

Burns said she immediately drove the dog to the vet, “They said they needed to immediately ice his body and give him oxygen and start an IV.” She added that the doctor wasn’t sure that Chance would survive.

About an hour later, after running some tests, the veterinary staff told Burns that Chance had somehow ingested oxycodone and had overdosed. The veterinarians were able to treat his symptoms, and Chance made what appeared to be a miraculous recovery. Unfortunately, he is now permanently blind.

Burns said, “I was thankful that I could pick him up the next day, bring him home and have him at least start this new chapter of his life, dark and blind. At least he’s got my family and me to love on him.”

Burns is unsure when or where Chance came in contact with the controlled substance. But she hopes her story helps other dog owners recognize the risks and signs of a doggy overdose.

Sign me up for the Sunny 106.3 email newsletter!

You love Sunny 106.3, so join the VIP Club! Be the first to know about our awesome ticket giveaways, the latest updates with your favorite artists, and more delivered right to your inbox.

By clicking "Subscribe" I agree to the website's terms of Service and Privacy Policy. I understand I can unsubscribe at any time.